John E. (“Jack”) Osborn is the Managing Partner of John E. Osborn P.C., a 9 lawyer firm concentrating in complex construction, environmental, real estate law and litigation, which he founded in 1992. The firm’s clients include hotels, college and universities, school districts, charter schools, healthcare and not-for-profit institutions, commercial and residential developers, construction managers, architects and specialty contractors. He has over 30 years of experience litigating complex commercial disputes relating to construction, real estate, corporate and environmental issues. Mr. Osborn has tried multi-million dollar construction cases and has represented owners on multi-hundred million dollar projects, which are among the largest and “highest profile” in the metropolitan area. He has developed a reputation as one of New York State’s premiere strategists and problem solvers in negotiating contracts and advising companies on business, government relations and commercial matters.
Mr. Osborn served as the Deputy General Counsel to New York City Comptroller, Harrison J. Goldin, where he advised the Comptroller on legislation, municipal finance and New York City Charter and Administrative Code matters. He served as an associate at the law firm of Max E. Greenberg, Cantor & Reiss, a partner with the law firm of Postner & Rubin and Counsel to the law firm of Tenzer, Greenblatt, Fallon & Kaplan.
- Obtained dismissal of $30 million in claims asserted by hotel developer against a construction manager; obtained DRB determination and judgment directing hotel developer to return payment of diverted trust funds to construction manager;
- In representing a high rise residential developer – negotiated and litigated the lifting of a stop work order and Temporary Restraining Order which allowed the developer to proceed with construction in cooperation with an adjacent property owner
- Litigated and reached settlement of a multi-million claim on behalf of a school district on Long Island when the school district experienced defective roof installation, unstable masonry installation and mold damage.
- Participated in the preparation and negotiation of design and construction contracts for local universities for 3 separate dormitory projects, a parking garage and a $200 million law school.
- Negotiated favorable settlements with surety bond companies on behalf of 2 school districts following the termination of the general construction contractor.
- Negotiated resolution of NYC Noise Code violations on behalf of numerous developers in Manhattan, a fast food restaurant and a telecommunications company
- Participated in the granting of a motion for Summary Judgment dismissing a $10 million delay claim by a concrete subcontractor against a construction manager on a Manhattan hotel project
- Litigated and reached a multi-million dollar settlement on behalf of a Manhattan hotel developer with a surety bond company based on the default of a subcontractor
- Achieved settlement in litigation by a hotel developer against an architect based on architectural malpractice.
New York Society of Architects – Distinguished Service Award (2014)
Greater New York Construction User Council – Member of the Year, 2000
Building Owners’ and Managers’ Association (BOMA/NY) – Local Member of the Year, 1999 ·
Building Owners’ and Managers’ Association, Mid-Atlantic Region – Regional Member of the Year, 1998/1999
NYU Real Estate Institute: construction and environmental law courses
NYU Preston Robert Tisch Center for Hospitality, Tourism and Sports Management
Building Owners’ and Managers’ Institute (“BOMI”).
Pratt Institute School of Architecture
NYU Polytechnic Institute
Mr. Osborn speaks extensively on subjects relating to construction law, effective contract drafting, real estate litigation, dispute resolution, environmental risk management and government regulations. He has presented to groups such as The Greater New York Construction User Council, Building Owners and Managers Association, Pratt Institute, New York University Real Estate Institute, New York State School Boards Association, Eastern Region Association of Higher Education Facilities Officers, and American Corporate Counsel Association.
Mr. Osborn has published over 80 articles on subjects relating to construction law, effective contract drafting, real estate litigation, dispute resolution environmental risk management and regulations. Publications include the National Law Journal, New York Law Journal, Real Estate New York, New York Construction News, and The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel.
He has also been quoted in The New York Times and New York Construction News. He is also a co-author of New York Construction Law, by Postner & Rubin, published by Shepard’s – McGraw Hill, 1992.